puffers & vics


Zulu (1)


Builder Gilbert Wilkie, Falkirk
Yard Nr
Launched 1879
Length 66.2 ft
Beam 15.3 ft
Gross 51 tons
Nett 35 tons
Engine 1 Cyl Steam

Her original owners are not recorded and she first appears in the register in 1889 in the ownership of a James Gardner of Kirkintilloch. In 1891 she was purchased by brothers James and William Woods of Glasgow and later the same year by Wm Jacks, Andrew Bonar Law and A J Ritchie of Glasgow. In 1902 Jacks bought out both of his partners' shares in her.  After Jacks' death in 1908 , she was sold to a partnership of K. Law, R.Hetherington, and H A Wilson, also of Glasgow.

In 1917 she passed into the ownership of John Kelly Ltd, managed by Samuel Kelly, who were contracted to provide lighterage and victualling services to Royal Navy vessels in Ireland. From then until 1919 Zulu served in Lough Swilly, Ahe was sold locally in 1927 and converted into a dumb barge for river use..