like her contemporaries "Gartsherrie" and "Mary" she started life as a
horse-drawn canal mineral barge, possibly for Baird's
ironworks on the Monklands canal.
A contemporary record referring to Bairds states "For
the canal traffic, there is a fleet of eighteen barges, of
about sixty tons each; and eight of these are screw steamers.
A great proportion of the manufactured iron is sent out by the
Certainly by her appearance she was probably restricted to
use on the canal and the docks of the upper Clyde - she was
definately not designed as a sea boat.
After serving for several years as a grain elevator barge
on the Clyde, she was broken up in 1958
The photograph below shows "Rebecca" on the left, alongside