Built for G & G Hamilton, this the third vessel to bear the name.Glencloy.
On December 10th 1938 she was in collision with an east coast fishing boat "Laurel Crown" in the Kylerhea, the narrow channel between the Isle of Skye and the Glenelg Peninsula. Both vessels survived and a later court hearing apportioned blame two thirds to Lauren Crown and one third to Glencloy. The Laurel Crown herself sank in Loch Oich in March 1939 after having collided with a concrete navigation marker.
Glencloy saw war service at Scapa Flow between 1939 and 1946 where among the tasks she was set was laying communications cables between the islands and naval bases. After return to civilian life on the Clyde she was converted to oil burning in 1950.
On Sunday 7th September 1947 while on passage from Troon to Lochboisdale with a cargo of coal, the Glencloy rescued a husband and wife from their semi-submerged aircraft which had ditched in the sea of the coast of the Isle of Rum. The ship's crew also managed to get the aircraft itself on board in spite of heavy seas.
Sold on in 1966 to A.McNeil & Co Ltd of Greenock, she sailed briefly as "Glenholm" before being scrapped just one year later.
In the undated photograph below, top, she is seen berthed next to the dedicated bulk fuel transporter "Clydegate" which belonged to the Anglo American Oil Company(Esso). The vessel to the left is unidentified but John MacDonald in Tobermory has suggested that location could be Scotts at Bowling and the crane in the background is certainly very similar to one which was in use there for many years. The middle photo shows her on war service at Scapa Flow in the Orkney Islands, one of very few such photograhps in existence. The bottom picture taken in 1950 shows her at the old "puffer jetty" at Brodick on the Isle of Arran.