puffers & vics




Builder Swan, Kelvin Dock
Official Nr 67950
Yard Nr
Launched 1874
Length 65.3 ft
Beam 17.0 ft
Gross 50 tons
Nett 34 tons

Originally built as a barque but by 1880 had been engined. Built for and owned by Alex Ross of Greenock (later part of  Ross & Marshall.) .She was lost in 1881, as described in this contemporary report: 

DAYLIGHT, 33 ton, smack rigged, steam lighter, of Greenock. Master, D. Graham. Bound from Greenock to Sound of Islay. Value of vessel 1500. Cargo coals value 15. Crew 4 all saved. Lost 7 Feb 1881, 7am. Camastack bay (Camas an Staca), 3 miles from MacArthurs Head Lighthouse. Wind south west with rain. Cause of wreck, gale & dragged both anchors.
'One of 2 (steamers) (the other was the "Starlight") that came here for the purpose of lifting the schooner EDITH MORGAN, which was wrecked on the Black Rock. (Had been) lying on the Jura side of the sound when the gale came. She dragged both anchors & went ashore on a reef of rocks where she is now a wreck. The other steamer also went ashore on smooth beach & got off.'
[Contemporary] source: Lightkeeper, MacArthurs Head Lighthouse.