Ballydoon was constructed for William Reid of Firhill Road, Glasgow. In 1890 she is shown registered in Belfast to Wm R Rea of Donegal Quay, Belfast. Later sold on to a W Poole of Bridgewater in 1897 and re-registered in Glasgow. Her register entry is closed in 1897 with the notation "sunk".
Note that she does not appear in the Clydebuilt database of vessels constructed by McIntyre and while there is no record of yard number 26, it does show that they built two schooners for Reid in that year. The clincher however must be her MNL entres which show her place and date of build as Paisley 1878.
She was fitted with a large gaff sail, typical of the early outside boats as a precaution against their still somewhat unreliable steam engines.