puffers & vics




Ailsa      Headlight 


Builder Denny  Dumbarton
Official Nr 119159
Yard Nr 736
Launched 1904
Delivered 1904
Length 66.5 ft
Beam 18.3 ft
Gross 100 tons
Nett 30 tons
Engine 2 Cyl Steam Compound

Built for owner Andrew Leslie of Glasgow, Ailsa was sold to A F Henry and J MacGregor of Leith in 1908 (along with the Garmoyle) and she plied east coast ports as far south as Berwick upon Tweed . In 1920 she was bought by Light Shipping Company of Greenock and was renamed "Headlight" before coming under the Ross & Marshall banner in 1921. On 21st August 1937 she stranded on Ardmore Point, Isle of Mull while laden with a cargo of coal. She was refoated and later broken up at Bowling in 1939 by J Hunter Jnr.